Protein Pancakes (updated)
The beauty of these pancakes is that they can be made using a bullet style blender, so no whisking and no mess! You can add more or less oats to increase or decrease the calorie content. This recipe has been created using whey protein as plant based proteins generally don’t cook with the same taste or texture. The shape of the pancakes can be achieved by cooking 2-3 small pancakes in a large pan, or by using a small pan (will take longer).
- 1.5 – 2 scoops of oats (~60g)
- 1 egg, 1 egg white
- Dash of vanilla essence / vanilla powder
- 3-4 heaped tablespoons of Quark (0% Greek yoghurt can be used too, but will reduce the thickness of the mixture)
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 – 1/2 scoop of MyProtein Cookies & Cream Diet Whey*
- Toppings of choice eg. fruit, nuts, maples syrup, low calorie sauces etc.
*Note that any kind of whey can be used to make pancakes, diet whey is no better than normal whey or an isolate form when it comes to protein content. I find the added ingredients in this diet whey doesn’t result in a dry pancake, whereas normal whey versions can. However, I tend to mix it up between this flavour and the regular Chocolate Brownie flavour. The scoop serving comes with the packet of protein (~30g per serving).
- Blend the oats until they form a flour-like consistency. Take them out of the blender and leave them aside.
- Blend the eggs, vanilla essence and greek yoghurt.
- Add in the oat ‘flour’, protein & baking powder. Blend until there are no traces of unmixed protein or oats. Do not mix for too long or the mix will form air.
- Heat the pan to a medium-high temperature using a low calorie spray.
- Pour the batter to the desired shape.
- Flip the pancakes when the underside starts to harden and bubbles begin to form on top. Turn down the heat when flipped.
- Add more low calorie spray, more batter and repeat.
- Once cooked, add your toppings and enjoy!
Note: the temperature will need to be lowered down as more batter is cooked. This will prevent the pan from overheating and the pancakes from burning.