Basic Bitch Beans
If you follow my Instagram, you will be familiar with my obsession with beans. Growing up, beans on toast was a staple meal in my household, but the traditional, ready-made baked beans tend to be full of sugar and additives. However, this doesn’t mean they shouldn’t make the cut. Beans are a great source of soluble fibre, protein and minerals such as iron, folate, zinc and magnesium. They are also rich in polyphenols, a type of anti-oxidant that helps protect against cancer and feeds your gut microbes! This recipe is by no means perfected and can be chopped and changed as much as you like.
- A mixture of beans eg. Borlotti, Cannelini and/or Kidney beans*
- Cherry tomatoes**
- 1 Small clove of garlic
- Red onion***
- Salt & pepper
- Optional additives:
- Smoked paprika, cumin & chilli
- 1 tablespoon Maple syrup (adds sweetness)
- 1 tablespoon of Apple Cider vinger (adds a tangy taste)
- Cheese (’cause cheese)
*Beans can be purchased in a tin full of water or dried. If you are purchasing them dried, you must soak overnight. This makes them easier to digest, reducing the negative health benefits associated with lectins (protection protein present in plants that can cause digestive issues).
**The amount will depend on how saucey you like your beans. This can range anywhere from 8-20 cherry tomatoes. Passata can also be added in.
***Add as little or as much onion & peppers as you like (there wasn’t much left in the fridge this time round lol).
1. Chop up the veggies and allow them to simmer in the pot or pan to release the flavours.
2. When they are nicely cooked, add in the seasoning & any additional ingredients eg. passata, maple syrup & apple cider vinegar.
3. Rinse beans well through a sieve and add to the pot.
4. Bring the beans to a boil.
5. Cook at a medium-high heat for 5 minutes, ensuring to mix thoroughly and frequently to avoid the mixture sticking to the pot.
5. Allow the beans to simmer on a low heat, for another 3-4 minutes.
6. When the mixture is ready for serving, you can add in cheddar cheese if you wish (Note: this will increase the calories of the mixture).
7. Serve and enjoy!