Thin based pizzas are my ultimate fave, so I immediately jumped on the band wagon when the trend for pizza wraps or ‘Fizzas’ began. By swapping the traditional, calorie-heavy base, for a lower calorie wrap, you can enjoy pizza any time without viewing it as a ‘treat’. You can add whatever toppings you like and use a wholegrain base to increase the fibre content. Your choice of toppings can increase the calorie content, so try not get too carried away! Remember, no foods should be ‘off limits’ or make you feel guilty, any meal can be re-created in a more healthful and calorie friendly way.
- Any kind of wrap for the base, looking at the fibre content to make it a more healthful meal
- Tomato Passata – Tesco’s Italian style is ideal
- Sundried Tomato Pesto – I enjoy The Happy Pear’s version
- Mozzarella cheese – can be anything from buffalo, to grated, to low fat, whatever you fancy
- Seasoning – Pink Salt & oregano are a must for me, but you can add anything else like paprika, chilli etc.
- Toppings of choice
- Mix 1 teaspoon of pesto with some passata in a ramekin dish
- Place the wrap onto a plate and spread the passata mix onto the wrap
- Add your toppings of choice*
- Add cheese
- Add seasoning
- Cook in the oven @ 180 °C for 10 minutes
*Note: Cooking the toppings before adding to the wrap is preferential for veg, but essential for meat.