Basic Bitch Beans
Basic Bitch Beans
Growing up, beans on toast was astaple meal in my household, but the traditional, ready-made baked beans tend to be full of sugar and additives. However, this doesn't mean they shouldn't make the cut. Beans are a great source of soluble fibre, protein and minerals such as iron, folate, zinc and magnesium. They are also rich in polyphenols, a type of anti-oxidant that helps protect against cancer and feeds your gutmicrobes! This recipe is by no means perfected and can be chopped and changed as much as you like. Note: Beans are a FODMAP that may trigger IBS symptoms.
- A mixture of beans, eg. Borlotti, Cannelini and/or Kidney beans Beans can be purchased in a tinfull of water or dried. If you are purchasing them dried, you must soakovernight. This makes them easier to digest, reducing the negative healthbenefits associated with lectins (protection protein present in plants that cancause digestive issues).
- Cherry tomatoes The amount will depend on how saucey you like your beans. This can range anywhere from 8-20 cherry tomatoes. Passata can also be added in.
- Small clove of garlic
- Red onion Add as little or as much as you like
- Peppers Add as little or as much as you like
- Salt & Pepper
- Smoked paprika, cumin & chilli
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup (adds sweetness)
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider vinger (adds a tangy taste)
- Cheese ('cause cheese)
- Chop up the veggies and allow them to simmer in the pot or pan to release the flavours.
- When they are nicely cooked, add in the seasoning & any additional ingredients eg. passata, maple syrup & apple cider vinegar.
- Rinse beans well through a sieve and add to the pot.
- Bring the beans to a boil.
- Cook at a medium-high heat for 5 minutes, ensuring to mix thoroughly and frequently to avoid the mixture sticking to the pot.
- Allow the beans to simmer on a low heat, for another 3-4 minutes.
- When the mixture is ready for serving, you can add in cheddar cheese if you wish (Note: this will increase the calories of the mixture).
- Serve and enjoy!